Wanna go to Africa? Africa for sure is one of the most incredible place on the planet which we also would love to visit.
It's full of adventure, history and wildlife. That's why we compiled 20 interesting facts you may not know about Africa.
1. Lake Victoria is the largest lake in Africa (59,947 square kilometers) the world's largest tropical lake, and the world's second largest fresh water lake by surface area after Lake Superior in North America. In terms of volume, Lake Victoria is the world's ninth largest continental lake, containing about 2,424 cubic kilometers of water.
2. Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania is the highest point in Africa. It tops out at 5,895 m above sea level.
3. Equatorial Guinea is the richest country in Africa. The GDP per capita is $30,200. Botswana is second with a GDP of $15,800. Coming in last is Zimbabwe at $200 per year.
4. Unfortunately 5 African countries are in the top 10 poorest countries in the world.
5. Democratic Republic of Congo (Africa) | Mozambique (Africa) | Uganda (Africa) | Tajikistan (Asia) | Yemen (Asia) | Haiti (North America) | Ethiopia (Africa) | Tanzania (Africa) | Kyrgyzstan (Asia) | Uzbekistan (Asia).
6. There are 54 countries in Africa.
7. Africa is considered by most paleoanthropologists to be the oldest inhabited territory on Earth, with the human species originating from the continent.
8. The Nile is the longest river in the world – the 6,852 kms takes you through Tanzania, Uganda, Sudan and Egypt.
9. The hottest place in the world is recorded at Al’Aziziyah in Libya (58 degrees Celsius).
10. South Africa has the highest number of people living with HIV/Aids in the world. The estimated overall HIV prevalence rate in 2018 was approximately 13.1% among the South African population. For adults aged 15-49 an estimated 19.0% of the population is HIV positive.
11. Almost 100 species of lemurs are found in Madagascar.
12. African elephants are the largest living land animals. They can weigh up to 6-7 tons and drink over 160 litres of water a day.
13. The world’s biggest frog goliath frog comes from Cameroon. It is over one foot long. Specimens can grow up to 33 centimetres in length from snout to vent, and weigh up to 3.25 kilograms.
14. Four of the five fastest land animals live in Africa. The cheetah is the fastest and can run at 60 mph.
15. There are about 2300 bird species in Africa.
16. A child dies every minute from malaria in Africa where it is estimated that 9 out of 10 malaria deaths occur. In 2013, there were 528 000 deaths from malaria and about 78% of these were in children under 5 years of age.
17. Islam is the dominant religion in Africa. Christianity is the second.
18. The shortest distance between Africa and Europe is only 14.3 kilometers of the ocean.
19. The Victoria Falls, located along the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe, is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. The Zambezi River is the fall’s main water source
20. The hippopotamus is Africa’s deadliest animal. Ungainly as it is, the hippopotamus is the world's deadliest large land mammal, killing an estimated 500 people per year in Africa. Hippos are aggressive creatures, and they have very sharp teeth. And you would not want to get stuck under one; at up to 2,750kg they can crush a human to death.
What did you learn about Africa? What did you already know? Let us know in comment below!